Reporting non-emergency crimes using 101

101 is the number to call when you want to contact your local police – when it’s less urgent than 999. It is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

What you can report using 101

Call 101 to contact the police to report less urgent crime and disorder or to speak to your local officers. For example, call 101:

When you should use 999 instead:

In an emergency always call 999.

You should call 999 if:

If you call 101 but are reporting an emergency, you will be directed to the 999 service.

Cost: what you will be charged if you call 101

Calls to 101 (from both landlines and mobiles) cost 15 pence per call no matter what time of day you call, or how long you are on the phone.

Who will answer my 101 call?

Calls to 101 are answered by police call handlers in the control room of your local police force.

When you call 101, the system will automatically connect you to your local police force. You will hear a recorded message telling you which force you are being connected to. If you are on the boundary between two or more forces, you will have a choice of which force you are connected to.

Calling 101 if you have speech or hearing impairments

If you are in a 101 area and have a speech or hearing impairment, you can textphone 18001 101.